The Chinese government invests an extensive amount in research and development, and is boosting scientific productivity in the country. Many European scientists would like to take advantage of attractive opportunities to conduct research with Chinese scientists or at Chinese universities. Frequently, however, joint research may be hampered by cultural misunderstandings in the working environment as well as in everyday life. Attend the seminar “China Competency for Scientists” and learn about fundamental behaviours expected in China, and in particular get to know the cultural differences. The seminar is specifically tailored to meet the needs of scientists and researchers and allows you to distinguish between intercultural and interpersonal conflicts. Find answers to your questions and mitigate your concerns to ensure a smooth cooperation.
- Brief overview: Historical and socio-political aspects
- Basis for cultural differences
- Effects on scientific collaboration
- Cultural dimensions in scientific cooperation
- Communication: What prevents the Chinese from clearly saying what they want?
- Time: Why do the Chinese often miss deadlines?
- Work and private life: Why is dining together so important?
- Status and respect: How is it that hierarchy, although often invisible, is so critical?
- Negotiation simulation with a Chinese partner
- Discussion of and feedback on participant examples
- You learn Chinese models of behaviour and cultural dimensions.
- You come to know how you can easily avoid intercultural misunderstandings and conflicts in everyday research.
- You develop ideas as well as strategies of conduct to address your concerns.
This seminar particularly addresses scientists working with Chinese colleagues, pursuing cooperation or planning to conduct research in China
Klicken Sie auf den unteren Button, um den Inhalt nachzuladen.
17.03.2016 | 09:00 - 17:00 Uhr
Die Teilnahme an diesem Seminar ist nicht mehr möglich.
ZEW – Leibniz-Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung
L 7, 1 68161 Mannheim
- Wissenstransfer und Weiterbildung