Dr. Reinhold Kesler has been a ZEW Junior Research Associate since May 2020 and works in close cooperation with the Research Department “Digital Economy”.
Dr. Reinhold Kesler is a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Zurich’s Department of Business Administration. His research focuses on the economics of digitalisation, especially on the functioning and competition policy aspects of digital platforms as well as on the role of user data. He has extensive experience in applied empirical work with web-scraped data.
Previously, he worked as a researcher at ZEW’s “Digital Economy” Department and received his doctorate from the University of Zurich in 2019 with his thesis on “Competition Policy in the Digital Era”. Before joining ZEW, Dr. Reinhold Kesler studied economics at the University of Mannheim, focusing on applied microeconometrics and empirical industrial organisation.
Further information on Dr. Reinhold Kesler: www.business.uzh.ch/en/research/professorships/entrepreneurship/team/kesler0.html
Articles in Refereed Journals
Hunold, Matthias, Reinhold Kesler and Ulrich Laitenberger (2020), Rankings of Online Travel Agents, Channel Pricing, and Consumer Protection, Marketing Science. Download
Articles in Non-Refereed Journals
Bertschek, Irene and Reinhold Kesler (2017), Does Engaging with Customers on Facebook Lead to Better Product Ideas?, Harvard Business Review October 2017. Download
Discussion and Working Papers
Hunold, Matthias, Reinhold Kesler and Ulrich Laitenberger (2018), Hotel Rankings of Online Travel Agents, Channel Pricing, and Consumer Protection, DICE Discussion Paper No 300, Düsseldorf. Download
Hunold, Matthias, Reinhold Kesler and Ulrich Laitenberger (2018), Hotel Rankings of Online Travel Agents, Channel Pricing, and Consumer Protection, ZEW Discussion Paper No. 18-059, Mannheim. Download
Kesler, Reinhold, Michael Kummer and Patrick Schulte (2017), Mobile Applications and Access to Private Data: The Supply Side of the Android Ecosystem, ZEW Discussion Paper No. 17-075, Mannheim. Download
Hunold, Matthias, Reinhold Kesler, Ulrich Laitenberger and Frank Schlütter (2017), Evaluation of Best Price Clauses in Online Hotel Booking, DICE Discussion Paper No 278, Düsseldorf. Download
Bertschek, Irene and Reinhold Kesler (2017), Let the User Speak: Is Feedback on Facebook a Source of Firms' Innovation?, ZEW Discussion Paper No. 17-015, Mannheim. Download
Bertschek, Irene and Reinhold Kesler (2016), Social Media as a Source of Creativity: Hype or a Serious Strategy?, CRE8TV Project Deliverable DEL: 4.2.4-R. Download
Berger, Marius, Irene Bertschek, Wolfgang Briglauer, Verena Dutt, Birgit Gehrke, Friedrich Heinemann, Reinhold Kesler, Bastian Krieger, Moritz Lubczyk, Christian Rammer, Markus Trunschke, Simona Christine Murmann and Insa Weilage (2018), Structural Reform in Germany, 2013-2017, European Commission, Brussels. Download
Bertschek, Irene, Reinhold Kesler, Ulrich Laitenberger, Ecorys, Kantar TNS Nederland and WIFO (2017), Business-to-business relations in the online platform environment, European Commission, DG GROW, Brussels. Download
Bertschek, Irene, Daniel Erdsiek, Reinhold Kesler, Thomas Niebel and Fabienne Rasel (2017), Metastudie: Chancen und Herausforderungen der Digitalisierung in Baden-Württemberg, Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg; Ministerium für Inneres, Digitalisierung und Migration Baden-Württemberg; Staatsministerium Baden-Württemberg, Mannheim. Download
- Project Duration 15.04.2019 - 31.12.2022digilog@bw – Digitalisation in Dialogue
- Project Duration 01.01.2019 - 31.03.2021SEEK-Project 2019: Balancing Privacy and Innovation: The Impact of the EU-GDPR on the Online Market for Mobile Applications
- Project Duration 01.06.2018 - 31.05.2021Taxation in the Era of Digital Transformation
- Project Duration 01.01.2018 - 31.05.2018Opportunities and Challenges of the Digital Eco-System of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia
- Project Duration 01.01.2018 - 31.12.2018Structural Reform in Germany, 2013-2017
- Project Duration 01.12.2017 - 31.05.2020Investments in New Forms of Knowledge-Based Capital (INFOWIK)
- Project Duration 01.06.2017 - 15.07.2017Opportunities and Challenges of Digitalisation in the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg
- Project Duration 01.04.2017 - 31.07.2019Market Power and Innovation in Online Markets: The Role of Network Effects and Big Data
- Project Duration 19.09.2016 - 15.05.2017Business-to-business relations in the online platform environment
- Project Duration 01.04.2016 - 31.03.2019SEEK-Project 2016: Digital Marketplaces and Platforms
- Project Duration 01.09.2015 - 31.08.2017Expert Dialogue Regulatory Framework for the Digital Economy
- Project Duration 15.07.2015 - 29.02.2016Innovation Policy in Germany: Strategies for More Innovation in the Age of Digitalisation
- Project Duration 01.02.2013 - 30.04.2016Creativity for Innovation and Growth in Europe
Teaching Activities and Stand-in Professors
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, United States of America (USA)
School of Economics of the Georgia Institute of Technology
- 11. – 11.2017 University of Zurich, Switzerland
- 02. – 03.2018 Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, United States of America (USA)
Referee-Reports for Scientific Journals, Public Trusts etc.
- 04.2018: Zeitschrift "Information Economics and Policy"
- 06.2018: Zeitschrift "Review of Network Economics"
- 09.2018: Zeitschrift "Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade"
- 06.2018: Zeitschrift "Economics of Innovation and New Technology"