Dr. Jesper Riedler studied industrial engineering at the Technical University of Darmstadt. In 2017 he received his doctorate degree in economics from Justus Liebig University in Giessen. In his dissertation, he developed agent-based models to study financial market stability and the impact of financial regulation. After receiving his doctorate he spent a year as a postdoctoral research fellow at the African Institute of Financial Markets and Risk Management at the University of Cape Town in South Africa.
Jesper Riedler joined ZEW's Research Department “International Finance and Financial Management” in 2011. His research interests include financial intermediation, financial market stability and bank regulation. He is also interested in how unconventional monetary policy affects capital markets, banks and firms. Furthermore, he works on applications of artificial intelligence methods to economic theory.
Since 2013 Jesper Riedler has been part of the team managing the ZEW Financial Market Survey. The survey is conducted on a monthly basis amongst financial market experts and produces one of the most important leading economic development indicators for Germany, also known as ZEW Indicator of Economic Sentiment or ZEW Index.
Articles in Refereed Journals
Fischer, Thomas and Jesper Riedler (2014), Prices, debt and market structure in an agent-based model of the financial market, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 48, 95-120. Download
Discussion and Working Papers
Koziol, Tina, Jesper Riedler and Joeri Schasfoort (2019), Euro Area Quantitative Easing in a Portfolio Balance Model with Heterogeneous Agents and Assets, Available at SSRN. Download
Kirschenmann, Karolin, Jesper Riedler and Tobias Schuler (2018), European Financial Integration through Securitization, EconPol Policy Brief 10. Download
Riedler, Jesper (2017), Towards a Microfounded Agent-Based Macroeconomic Model, SSRN Working Paper. Download
Riedler, Jesper and Frank Brückbauer (2017), Evaluating Regulation Within an Artificial Financial System – A Framework and Its Application to the Liquidity Coverage Ratio Regulation, ZEW Discussion Paper No. 17-022, Mannheim. Download
Fischer, Thomas and Jesper Riedler (2012), Prices, Debt and Market Structure in an Agent-Based Model of the Financial Market, ZEW Discussion Paper No. 12-045, Mannheim. Download
Heidorn, Thomas, Sophie van Hüllen, Yitzhak Loayza-Desfontaines, Jesper Riedler, Christian Schmaltz and Michael Schröder (2014), Flankierende Ansätze zur Verbesserung der Markttransparenz und Bekämpfung von Marktmissbrauch im Rohstoffterminhandel - Kurzfassung, Mannheim. Download
Heidorn, Thomas, Sophie van Hüllen, Yitzhak Loayza-Desfontaines, Jesper Riedler, Christian Schmaltz and Michael Schröder (2014), Flankierende Ansätze zur Verbesserung der Markttransparenz und Bekämpfung von Marktmissbrauch im Rohstoffterminhandel, Bundesministerium der Finanzen (BMF), Berlin, Mannheim. Download
- Project Duration 01.12.1991 - 01.01.1970ZEW Financial Market Survey
- Project Duration 01.04.2018 - 31.03.2019Machine Learning of Optimal Interest Rate Policy
- Project Duration 01.01.2014 - 31.12.2016Financial Distortions and Macroeconomic Performance: Expectations, Constraints and Interaction of Agents
- Project Duration 01.10.2013 - 30.04.2014Credit Scoring: An Economic Assessment
- Project Duration 01.01.2013 - 31.05.2014Auxiliary Approaches for Increasing Market Transparency and Preventing Market Abuse in the Commodity Futures Trade
- Project Duration 01.07.2012 - 30.04.2013Future orientation of the government-subsidized capital formation
- Project Duration 01.09.2011 - 30.06.2012Literature Survey: Weather and Disaster Derivatives
- Project Duration 15.04.2011 - 30.09.2011Cumulative Effects of Measures for the Banking Sector – Impact Assessment of the Various Regulatory Initiatives Affecting the EU Banking Sector –
Referee-Reports for Scientific Journals, Public Trusts etc.
- 07.2017: Zeitschrift "Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination"
- 08.2016: Zeitschrift "Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination"
- 12.2015: Zeitschrift "Journal of Money, Credit and Banking"
- 03.2013: Zeitschrift "Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization"
- 11.2013: Zeitschrift "Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control"