Martin Murmann is a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Zurich, in the ZEW Research Department “Economics of Innovation and Industrial Dynamics”, and at the Institute for Employment Research in Nuremberg. He received his doctoral degree from the University of Zurich where he graduated from the PhD programme “Management and Economics”. Previously, he studied economics with a specialisation in econometrics and political sciences at the University of Konstanz and Linköping University, Sweden.
His research focuses on entrepreneurship and innovation. He is particularly interested in the determinants of hiring in new ventures and the consequences of new ventures’ first hiring choices for the firms’ productivity and innovation outcomes.
Articles in Refereed Journals
Grimpe, Christoph, Martin Murmann and Wolfgang Sofka (2019), Organizational design choices of high-tech startups: How middle management drives innovation performance, Stratagic Entrepreneurship Journal 13, 359–378. Download
Monographs, Contributions to Edited Volumes
Discussion and Working Papers
Grimpe, Christoph, Martin Murmann and Wolfgang Sofka (2017), The Organizational Design of High-Tech Startups and Product Innovation, ZEW Discussion Paper No. 17-074, Mannheim. Download
Murmann, Martin (2017), The Productivity Effects of Worker Replacement in Young Firms, ZEW Discussion Paper No. 17-010, Mannheim. Download
Brixy, Udo and Martin Murmann (2016), The Growth and Human Capital Structure of New Firms over the Business Cycle, ZEW Discussion Paper No. 16-079, Mannheim. Download
Müller, Bettina and Martin Murmann (2016), The Workforce Composition of Young Firms and Product Innovation - Complementarities in the Skills of Founders and Their Early Employees, ZEW Discussion Paper No. 16-074, Mannheim. Download
Müller, Bettina and Martin Murmann (2016), The Role of the ‘Right’ Skill Mix for the Innovation Performance of Young Firms in the Creative Industries, CRE8TV Project Deliverable DEL: 3.2.5(R). Download
Lubczyk, Moritz, Martin Murmann and Simona Christine Murmann (2020), Auswirkungen des gesetzlichen Mindestlohns auf die Solo-Selbstständigkeit, Mindestlohnkommission c/o Bundesanstalt für Arbeitsschutz und Arbeitsmedizin, Mannheim. Download
- Project Duration 01.03.2016 - 31.10.2020Firm Dynamics and the Career Opportunities of Founders and Employees in New Ventures
- Project Duration 01.01.2014 - 31.12.2023IAB/ZEW Start-up Panel
- Project Duration 01.12.2018 - 03.06.2020Effects of the National Minimum Wage on Self-Employment
- Project Duration 01.11.2015 - 30.04.2016Evaluation of the BMWi Funding Program "INVEST – Grant for Venture Capital"
- Project Duration 15.06.2015 - 31.10.2015Evaluation of the Support Programme "ERP Capital for Start-up"
- Project Duration 01.04.2015 - 31.03.2020Creation of a Representative Data Base of Young Firms in Baden-Wuerttemberg
- Project Duration 01.04.2014 - 28.02.2016SEEK Project 2014: Human Capital Formation in Young Firms and the Crisis: A Comparative Analysis of Portugal and Germany
- Project Duration 01.07.2013 - 31.12.2015The Contribution of Employees for the Performance and Innovativeness of Young Firms
- Project Duration 26.03.2013 - 11.10.2013Potentials and Barriers for Start-ups in the Implementation of the Energiewende
- Project Duration 01.02.2013 - 30.04.2016Creativity for Innovation and Growth in Europe
- Project Duration 01.09.2012 - 30.11.2012Start-ups in the ICT-Sector
- Project Duration 01.07.2012 - 30.09.2012Financing of Young Firms by External Private Equity in Germany
- Project Duration 01.07.2011 - 31.03.2013The Relationship between Employees, Entry Strategies, and Innovation Performance in Newly Established Firms
- Project Duration 01.10.2008 - 30.04.2013Employment in High-Tech Start-Ups: Analyses based on a new Link-Employer-Employee-Data Set
- Project Duration 01.05.2008 - 31.12.2013KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel