This study builds on the results of research conducted in 2003, 2005 and 2007 into the role of the chemical industry in providing impulses for innovation in other sectors. Following its predecessor studies, this project focuses on the current development of the chemical industry´s role as a source of innovation for other sectors, analyses innovation activity in the chemical industry in Germany in international comparison and explores the parameters that define Germany as a location for innovation. Complementing these findings, the study investigates the organisation of R&D within the chemical industry as well as with partners along the value added chain (including collaboration with public research and corporate R&D). Furthermore, the role of international competition in the chemical industry and location decisions of R&D is analysed.
The aim of the study is:
- to use R&D and innovation indicators to describe the significance of the chemical sector for the German innovation system and the contribution chemistry makes to innovation in other sectors.
- to describe the defining characteristics of innovation processes in the chemical industry, paying particular attention to collaboration with the academic world, cooperation with customers and the role played by business start-ups.
- to analyse the performance of the chemical sector in Germany in international comparison, in the areas of research, innovation, production and foreign trade.
- to analyse localised factors for R&D and innovation in different regions (Germany, EU-27, Russia, North America, Japan, Southeast Asia, Middle East, Latin America) and for various segments of the chemical industry.
- to develop conclusions for a policy to strengthen an innovative chemical industry in Germany.
Rammer, Christian, Wolfgang Sofka, Harald Legler, Birgit Gerke and Olaf Krawczyk (2009), Innovationsmotor Chemie 2009 - FuE-Potenziale und Standortwettbewerb, Verband der Chemischen Industrie e.V., Mannheim und Hannover. Download
Verband der Chemischen Industrie e.V.
, Frankfurt am Main
01.07.2008 - 31.07.2009
Economics of Innovation and Industrial Dynamics
Niedersächsisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung e.V., Hannover, DE