Labour Markets, Human Resources and Social Policy
Contribution to Quality Monitoring of Integrated Employment Biographies: Development of Alternative Unemployment Classification Proposals
The Integrated Employment Biographies (IEB), provided by the IAB, can be supposed to become one of the most important data sources for labour market research in Germany: The IEB link process data information of the Federal Employment Agency on periods of job search, benefit reception and participation in labor market measures with reports on employment periods. However, on the one hand the IEB require researchers to make assumptions about the data generation process, since unexpected overlaps between episodes are observed to some degree. On the other hand, the data provide only an incomplete picture of labor market careers - gaps between episodes may for instance result from periods of schooling, home work or self employment. Taking into account the importance of the data base it is sensible to provide standards in addressing the treatment of these problems. The current project is devoted to this issue regarding one of the key variables: The duration of unemployment. The project thus includes a critical discussion of the question of defining employment. Finally, sensitivity analyses should give an impression, whether and how much corrections and classifications of the IEB affect the results of labour market research in different areas.
Duration: 01.01.2006 - 30.09.2006
- Kooperationsprojekt zwischen dem IAB und dem ZEW. Läuft am IAB als IAB-Grundlagenprojekt.
- Prof. Bernd Fitzenberger, PhD, ZEW (Coordinator)
- PD Dr. Gesine Stephan, Institute for Employment Research of the Federal Employment Services, Ministry of Employment, Social (Coordinator)
- Sarah Heinemann, Institute for Employment Research of the Federal Employment Services, Ministry of Employment, Social
- Dr. Ursula Jaenichen, Institute for Employment Research of the Federal Employment Services, Ministry of Employment, Social
- Dr. Thomas Kruppe, Institute for Employment Research of the Federal Employment Services, Ministry of Employment, Social
- Dr. Ralf Wilke, ZEW
Discussion Papers and Working Papers
Kruppe, Thomas, Eva Müller, Laura Wichert and Ralf Wilke (2007), On the Definition of Unemployment and its Implementation in Register Data – The Case of Germany, ZEW Discussion Paper No. 07-041, Mannheim. Download